ABOUT NAKASEC VA
NAKASEC is a dynamic grassroots-based organization founded in 1994 by local community centers to project a progressive voice and promote the full participation of Korean Americans and Asian Americans within the social justice movement. Its mission is to organize Korean and Asian Americans to achieve social, economic and racial justice. NAKASEC maintains offices in Annandale and Centreville, Virginia, Chicago, Illinois and Los Angeles/Orange County, California. Our work in Virginia began in 2012, and current programs include Community Organizing, Civic Engagement, Community Services, and Leadership Development:
NAKASEC VA (National Korean American Service & Education Consortium – Virginia) organizes Korean and Asian Americans to achieve social, economic, and racial justice. Through community organizing, public policy advocacy, civic engagement, and youth leadership development, NAKASEC VA works to build a future in which low- and middle-income, immigrant, people of color, and marginalized communities can fully participate in U.S. society and work together as makers of lasting change.
NAKASEC VA is hiring part-time Canvassers for our 2021 civic engagement campaign. This position will report to the NAKASEC VA Field Coordinator and Field Captain. This is a unique opportunity to share important voting information with Virginia residents, and talk directly with them through phone, text, and in-person conversations. Ideal candidates will be highly organized, detail-oriented people who thrive on connecting with others. To ensure the safety of everyone in the program, NAKASEC VA will provide all PPE equipment, training on how to canvass safely, and other necessary protocols.
- Effectively inform community members on important voting information and deadlines through socially distanced opening canvassing, phone banking, and texting.
- Use technology to ensure accurate and timely data entry.
- Complete daily and weekly reports on progress to goal for all metrics.
- Represent NAKASEC Virginia with professionalism and ethical conduct.
- Successfully complete required training & follow all required COVID-19 safety protocols.
- Other duties as assigned, as related to the success of the civic engagement campaign.
- Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated willingness and ability to complete required tasks in a campaign setting.
- Self-motivation and ability to work independently.
- Able to use a computer and learn how to use different apps and platforms for voter contact (e.g. MiniVAN, ThruTalk, Spoke, etc).
- Ability to work on weekends and some evenings.
- A valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
- Bilingual in
Korean,Vietnamese , or Mandarin Chineseis an asset. EDIT 3/5: Vietnamese speakers needed!
- Previous canvass experience is helpful but not required, as training and coaching will be provided to all employees.
Location: Annandale & Centreville, VA, with regular travel throughout Northern Virginia
Job Type: part-time (15 hours/week)
Duration: March 2021 / immediately – June 2021
TO APPLY APPLICATIONS ARE CLOSED.
Email your resume to Ha Nguyen (firstname.lastname@example.org) AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. Please write in the subject line “NAKASEC VA Part Time Canvasser” and indicate in your resume if you are bilingual in another Asian language, and your level of proficiency in the language.
NAKASEC VA is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, LGBTQ+ candidates, and people of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to a diverse workplace and supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.