ABOUT NAKASEC VA
NAKASEC (National Korean American Service & Education Consortium) is a dynamic grassroots-based organization founded in 1994 by local community centers to project a progressive voice and promote the full participation of Korean Americans and Asian Americans within the social justice movement. Its mission is to organize Korean and Asian Americans to achieve social, economic and racial justice. Local affiliates include NAKASEC Virginia, HANA Center in Illinois, Woori Center in Pennsylvania, and MinKwon Center for Community Action in New York. The Virginia chapter was established in 2012, and current programs include Community Organizing, Civic Engagement, Community Services, and Leadership Development.
NAKASEC Virginia organizes Korean and Asian Americans to achieve social, economic, and racial justice. Through community organizing, public policy advocacy, civic engagement, and youth leadership development, NAKASEC VA works to build a future in which low- and middle-income, immigrant, people of color, and marginalized communities can fully participate in U.S. society and work together as makers of lasting change.
The Field Coordinator will work with the Civic Engagement Manager to manage part-time canvassing staff and volunteers; create necessary educational materials; and implement voter engagement campaigns to educate voters, promote voter turnout, and build base to advance policies towards social, economic, and racial justice in Virginia’s Asian American communities.
Civic Engagement and Organizing (85%)
- Recruit, train, and manage part-time canvassers, interns, staff, and volunteers on engagement tactics and technology (e.g. phone banking, texting, canvassing, literature drops, relational organizing, etc). Build a culture of accountability and have difficult/corrective conversations with staff and volunteers
- Collaborate with translators, designers, and printers to create relevant printed civic engagement materials (e.g. mailers, door hangers, sticky notes, leave behinds, etc)
- Work with VCET or C4 table to prepare field work campaign logistics (phone banking, texting, relational organizing, etc) in a timely manner as necessary
- Work with digital organizer to develop shareable graphics and digital content for social media and messaging (with translators) such as multilingual videos
- Research best practices for voter registration scripts, volunteer recruitment and engagement, effective strategies to run various field programs (relational organizing, virtual phone banking & texting, open canvassing in apartments)
- Lead on redistricting: Attend redistricting coalition meetings, facilitate community events on redistricting, recruit & prepare community members to testify at open hearings
- Implement relational organizing campaigns for voter registration and GOTV
- Supervise, train, and support the Field Captain to ensure implementation of field program and proper following of safety protocols
- Support and promote internal project coordination between Field Captain, paid canvassers & engaged volunteers
- Develop field work protocols including COVID-19 safety guidelines, making sure canvassers have materials they need (PPE, clipboards, chargers, etc)
- Lead on data entry using VAN (e.g. pledge cards, updating contact information, etc), troubleshoot and resolve technical difficulties for voter engagement platforms as necessary
- Support field work capacity as needed through phonebanking, canvassing/literature drops, texting, relational organizing, etc.
- Create relevant public educational materials in print and digital, including website content, press releases, and ethnic media as needed
- Assist with reporting as needed.
- Assist in the development of comprehensive direct voter contact program as needed
- Attend in-person coalition meetings as needed.
- Attend weekly staff meetings
- Participate in year-round organizing, civic engagement, and fundraising campaigns with rest of NAKASEC VA team
- Other duties as assigned
KEY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Mission alignment: Commitment to social, economic and racial justice. A belief in the community’s ability to support each other, organize and achieve desired goals together.
- Project management skills: stays on top of multiple projects through prioritization and organization; plans backwards and anticipates obstacles; identifies and involves stakeholders; organize work plans
- Coaching orientation: ability to work well with others or in a team; take the time to teach and offer useful and actionable feedback, make sure the people feel their efforts are appreciated and expect that people will make mistakes and see those as opportunities for learning
- Follow Through: self-motivated to stay on top of all specific tasks, follow-up items, and general areas of work
- Flexibility: adapt quickly as things change
- Meets deadlines: do routine and small tasks promptly; find a way to drive work forward
- Attention to detail: ensure all external communication is polished and precise and appropriate for the given situation
- Communication and relationship building: strong verbal communication skills; able to connect with individuals across diverse and marginalized populations; in the face of obstacles, being quick to offer solutions
- Quick/enthusiastic learner: learn how to use and set up different platforms; open to learning and trying new experiences
- Comfortable with numbers, technology, and spreadsheets
- Willing to work some weekends and evenings
- Driver’s license and access to car
- Based in Northern Virginia
- Bilingual in English and an Asian language
- Familiarity with these platforms: VAN, MiniVAN, Hustle, Spoke, ThruTalk, ThruText, Impactive (formerly OutVote), other civic engagement tools
- Prior experience with campaign field work
Location: Annandale & Centreville, VA
Job Type: full-time
Reports to: Civic Engagement Manager
Salary & Benefits: $43K (commensurate with experience); full health, dental, and vision insurance. There is also paid time off, vacation, sick days (if you, a partner, a family member are sick), and other leave time customized to your unique circumstances. We close between December 25 and January 1 to recognize end-of-year stress and time for reflection and rejuvenation.
TO APPLY APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED. Email your resume to email@example.com with the subject “NAKASEC VA Field Coordinator” by 11:59 PM, July 14, 2021. Please indicate on your resume and/or an optional cover letter with what campaign/civic engagement platforms you are familiar with.
NAKASEC VA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. People of color, women, LGBTQ+ candidates, and people of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to a diverse workplace and supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.